Having a pet dog in your house can be exciting but what is more exciting is when you are expecting newborn puppies in your house. But at the same time, you need to be extra attentive towards your dog both before and after the delivery of the puppies. In fact, your work will get doubled after the delivery since you will have to take proper care of both your dog and her puppies. High-quality care should be provided to the mother and her puppies in order to make them feel secure and comfortable. If this, is the first time that you are handling such a situation and not sure about what to do then, you should give this article a read.
Things That You Need To Do
To help you out, we have provided every detail about how you should be taking care of the new born puppy and their mother. The points slated below will help you have a clear picture of the things that you need to do.
- Make A Whelping Box: The first thing that you need to do is prepare a whelping box for the puppies. For people who do not know a whelping box is a comfortable box in which dogs give birth. Other than that, it also helps keep the puppies safe, warm and protected getting squashed under the weight of their mother in case, she lies down on them. In order to make a whelping box, you need to find a box big enough and also the one which is comfortable enough for your dog. The box should have 4 sides which should be tall enough so, that the new born puppies can stay inside it while the mother can jump out of it without any difficulty. If you are not sure of your box making skills then, you can also get a whelping box from any of the pet stores. Don’t forget to place newspapers and towels in the whelping box to make it more comfortable for the puppies.
- Let The Mother Bond With The Newborns: This is perhaps the most important thing that you need to keep a check on. The first few days of the puppies are very crucial since this is the period when they bond with their mother. So what you need to do is let the mother and her puppies as much as you can so, that they can form their bonding. Do this for at least 4 to 5 days till they get close.
- Keep The Puppies Warm: Try to check the temperature of the puppies as often as you can. The puppies should not get too cold or too warm and therefore, it is your responsibility to check on their body temperature. A newborn puppy’s temperature should be between 94 to 99 degrees Fahrenheit. In order to maintain the body temperature of the puppies, you can even use a heat lamp or adjust the temperature of the room.
- Weigh Them Daily: Checking the weight of the puppies daily is one of the important things that you need to do. Along with checking the weight you also need to keep a record of each of the puppy’s weight. From the weight of the new born puppies, you can get an idea that whether they are getting proper nutrition or not.
- Help the Puppies Learn to Nurse: Puppies are born deaf and blind, therefore, they may not be able to find their mother’s nipple. This is where you have to take extra care for new born puppy. Help them to latch on to their mother’s nipples until the time they don’t learn it on their own.
- Do Not Bring Non-Family Pets: It’s okay that you love pets but when you have newborn puppies in the house try not to bring any other pet close to them. This should be done in order to maintain the safety of the puppies. You never know what may happen. Therefore, it’s better to be on the safe side than to regret it later.
So these are some of the main things that you need to do when you have newborn puppies in your house. Once they grow up, you will be a proud grand-mom.